Sunday, March 3, 2013

Mushroom stir fry or Koon mezhukkuperatti

I made this stir fry as a side for rice. I had been trying to re-create the taste of the mushrooms I usually picked, from around the property surrounding our house as a kid, along with my siblings just after a fresh bout of rain. That taste of the fresh, large mushroom, made with a little fresh coconut oil, is still a tantalizing, never-forgotten taste for me. The store-bought mushrooms that I used were not as tasty but it was somewhat of a parallel.


Ingredients:

1: Mushrooms: 1 Packet

2: Shallots/Onions: 5 no.s / half an onion sliced into small pieces

3: Red dry Chilly : 3- 4 no.s

4: Turmeric powder: half tsp

5: Salt: to taste

6: Coconut oil/Olive oil             :  2 tbsp

7: Curry Leaves: 1 sprig

8: Mustard seeds: half tsp




Method:


Wash the mushrooms and slice them into small pieces. Add the oil to the pan / Tava and let it heat up. When hot, add the mustard seeds and let them splutter. Now add the red chilly pieces and curry leaves and then the onion pieces in that order. Stir the onion mixture and let it get transparent. Now add the pieces of mushrooms and mix in enough salt for taste. You will see that water from the mushroom drains out helping it to cook in its own juices. Do not close the pan at any time but cook the mushroom mixture by stir frying it.

Once all the water has drained and the mushroom is cooked, check for salt and use it while hot with rice or as a side for Chappathi. You will see its good to be relished just alone too.


www.google.com

1 comment:

  1. Your recipe was new to me, I want to cook it because I think it was really delicious. Thanks for sharing it here and I hope that I can cook it perfect. Next on this recipe was a stir fried chicken because I like that also.

    ReplyDelete

You are very welcome to add your feedback to my page...